Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Book update

I rarely talk about the books I've been reading but I'm making an exception. Technically I haven't been reading these books since I've been listening to them as audio books, but still. So, if you like a literature mixed with a little sci-fi, mixed with some hilarious comments, then this series is for you.

The main character is named Thursday Next and she's a woman I can relate to, even if she can leap into books and travel through time on occasion while I can do neither. I think what I like most about these books is that they assume you've actually read something other then the comics section in your local paper. It assumes you already know the story of Jane Eyre, or any of the other stories that might be mentioned. Jasper Fforde has certainly crafted 5 books that are a great read. I'm currently listening to the 5th book, "First Among Sequels". I love listening to these books mainly because the reader has such a great voice and does such a great job with the different characters. So, if you're looking for a great "listen" while you're on a trip or going to and from work check these books out. I warn you though, start with the first book, "The Eyre Affair" and go forward in order, you'll be hooked and will want to know how things turn out in the end...if there is an end.

I've also been reading my way through Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum's books. These are just fun and a great easy read. Nothing else to say. All of these books are just a good "romp".

So, what are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. Currently reading? A biog of Kate Bush, although I don't have it with me so can't recall the author or the actual title. D'oh! It was a birthday present from a friend who I guess was a bit desperate for ideas and it was a kind thought so not complaining too much. Not a bad read but not a great deal of new information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to start Iain Banks The steep approach to Garbadale. I love the Tuesday Next and Stephanie Plum books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost bought The Eyre Affair, but I wanted to read Jane Eyre first. I bought The Big Over Easy instead. =) I just finished a disappointing Robert Asprin book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Stephanie Plum books too! I read The Eyre Affair and enjoyed it - looking forward to more in the series. I'm reading the first Elizabeth Peters book now - Crocodile on the Sandbank. Very curious where the book is going...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...