Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Weekend Retreat

I went a long way for this one, all of 9 miles from my house to Camp Blanding. Camp Blanding is the FL National Guard training facility, both for Army National Guard and Air Force National Guard. They also do a lot of other types of training for law enforcement. It's located on Kingsley Lake, where as a teen I spent many a summer day at either Stricklands or Kingsley both public access to the lake. It's a beautiful area and the facilities were excellent. You can read more over at DF Jackie's blog where she has some great shots of the lake and the room and a whole lot more about the weekend than I should write at this late date.

I will show you some pretty pictures though to distract you from the fact that I took FOREVER to write this post.
This is what my Linen book looked like before it was all put together and aged. I did have to finish stitching it when I arrived on Friday so I spent most of the day doing that...as well as eating and talking to people, some of whom I hadn't seen in a few years. I'm not normally a "primitives" person, but I love how this piece has turned out.

Next is the finished product...




Front, back and the inside. The pattern called for an inside pocket, but I had the pretty mother of pearl hearts you see here and decided I'd rather sew them into the inside and use it as a project book.


Jackie also wanted to learn some finishing techniques for ornaments. Now, I've got plenty of items that need to be finished, and my plenty I mean too many, so I thought this would be a good idea, a way to get caught up on my finishing. So I got all my finishing together, put it all in separate bags with everything I'd need, plus I packed a box full of some of my ribbons just in case we might need them. And here's what I accomplished.
I finished my needlepoint snow bunny ornament. That is all. Now mind you, I went a little overboard on the finishing and totally "mac daddy'd it out", but still. And to top it all off I ended up stitching the cording on after I got home. Still I love it! I loved stitching this piece and I love how the finishing turned out.

The only other thing I worked on a lot while I was gone was mom & dad's anniversary piece. I'll leave you with a picture of how it looked when we left Sunday afternoon. It is further along now and getting even closer to being done. Based on a number of things mom has said I'm not going to have a party for them after all. She would rather go on a cruise, so we'll do that once she's feeling all better from the mono. I'll just finish this and then give it to them when it's framed and explain why it's late.

12 comments:

  1. Teresa your Emblem of Love is looking fantastic - the snow bunny ornament came out just darling - I sure don't think it is over the top finishing - love the snowflake backing and the prim needlebook while not your typical style is definitely a job well done ! I hope I get to attend the next retreat - sounds like everyone I know got a lot done. Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project book is beautiful, the bunny is adorable, and your parents' sampler is looking fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss T - fabulous finishes! Love the little bun-bun and his bling...it's perfect!! Your primitive piece is great & your parents' anniv sampler is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how that bunny turned out!! If we take another class with Julia you must show him to her!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bunny came out super cute! Finishing took longer than I thought but most of our time was spent on the sewing book. I think we can get more than 1 or 2 done next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Emblem of Love. It's coming along beautifully.

    The little bunny is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your parents are going to love that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An Emblem of Love looks stunning, it will be a wonderful gift.
    I love your needlebook, perfectly stitched and finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the retreat on Jackie's blog and thought it looked like you two had so much fun! I envy you your finishing skills for sure. I have no confidence with finishing although I can do it if I try. Love your ornament and the needlebook is magnificent! Glad you had fun at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks great, Teresa! I love your parents' anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm, duh, I mean your parents' anniversary sampler!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...