Thursday, March 24, 2011

Murder and Mystery: It's Books Again

Here I was lamenting I hadn't been reading so much and I've finished another book. I really would have given this one 3 1/2 stars if I could. I liked it, but can't say I loved it. I do have to say there was a lot of research that went into this one, and I respect an author that puts that much time into researching, especially a mystery. Makes it better. So, even though it's 3 stars I'd recommend it and I'll probably pick up the next in the series to see what happens. 

The 7th Victim (Karen Vail #1)The 7th Victim by Alan Jacobson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Having debated between 3 and 4 stars I went with 3 on this one. There was a little TOO much going on with this main character for me to believe she could hold it together as well as she did in this book. That's fine, I can suspend my belief for a good book but it did keep me from giving it 4 stars.



There are a lot of points to keep track of and even small things end up making sense in the end. Some are there to try and throw you off track, while others help you begin to see a picture before our heroine does. I didn't have any trouble believing she wasn't "seeing" all the pieces, since between her ex-husband, the investigation, her mother issues and her son's issues there were a lot of things for her to deal with and that's what I think kept her from figuring out what was going on earlier. Like any really good mystery all the clues are there, the reader just has to pick them out and put them together, much like the detective does.



All in all a good, fairly fast paced, mystery. I might even have to see what happens to Supervisory Special Agent Vail next.



View all my reviews

(I didn't receive any compensation for this, I picked this book up for my Kindle while it was free from Amazon. No affiliation, blah, blah, blah.)

1 comment:

  1. I also got this free or at a low cost for my Nook last fall. I enjoyed it, too. Thought the "romance" was a little heavy-handed in places and Vail did seem to have an awful lot going on, but the book was entertaining. I have the next book in the series on the Nook, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

    Just left a friend request on Goodreads for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...