Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns 2KCBWDAY1

I know! Two  blog posts in one day is insane, but it may happen a few times this week. I just found out about this and couldn't resist joining in.



Day One: 28th March. A Tale of Two Yarns. 2KCBWDAY1
Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

This isn't exactly an easy question, there are SO many yarns out there and SO many different ones in my stash that I just love for many different reasons. I've thought about this and am going to say that I love all things hand dyed and am a sucker for them in all their forms. I mainly buy hand dyed sock or lace weight yarns because I live in FL and it gets fairly warm here and we don't really have much of a winter, some of my friends would say we don't have any winter. So I really like knitting things like socks, shawls, wraps and the occasional hat or two. Sometimes I'll buy a yarn because I just love how it looks, thinking I'll use it for one thing and end up using it for something entirely different.

That's what happened with this skein of Rio De La Plata sock yarn.
I thought I wanted to use it for a crocheted purse I saw in a magazine. Obviously the yarn had other ideas since it became this...
Southern Porch Hat (ok the pattern is really North Porch Hat). The yarn was perfect and I've gotten more than one compliment on it when I've worn in this last year.

And then there's times when the perfect yarn is found for just the right pattern. Last year I went to Stitches South with friends and it was a wonderful experience. I finally saw yarns I'd only heard about, The Sanguine Gryphon, Habu Textiles, Lisa Sousa and Madeline Tosh to name just a few. Knowing that if I didn't have at least some sort of plan I'd just buy all kinds of things that when I got home I'd have no idea what to do with, so I went prepared with several patterns that I wanted to find something different for, something that my local store doesn't, or didn't at the time, carry. One of the patterns I had in mind was a fairly easy wrap called Cambria Wrap. I wanted something just perfect for this pattern, not too much change in color, but enough that it would flow thinking that the pattern was fairly simple so the yarn should be as well. I searched and in a booth from a dyer I'd never heard of I found this.
DSCN1139

The yarn is from Knitting Notions and is their Classic Merino Superwash Sock. It's just beautiful to hold in your hand in the skein and then you knit it and it looks like this.
Knitting 006

And at this point it wasn't even finished so it's not blocked. I'm still hoping to get it blocked and a picture of it in all it's glory up later this week. But the colors are unbelievable.

So what don't I like about these yarns, not much I have to say. They both work up beautiful, have great drape and just plain look amazing. The only problem is I don't have more in my stash!

2 comments:

  1. Hand dyed sock yarn was my favorite!! And I live in Yankee territory where this winter won't let go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...