Sunday, July 1, 2007

What some of you have been waiting for

Pictures of the Night Blooming Cereus. Oh, and I found out it's also known as "Queen of the Night" and "Dutchman's Pipe". Now I can totally understand where the "Queen of the Night" name came from, these blooms are fantastic. But can't figure out the other name. However, you want to see pictures....

First a picture I took with flash, you can tell this is where the 3 blooms were together. The flash doesn't let you see the detail so....

Here's just a single bloom. My mom had to hold a flashlight to light it while I took pictures.

A little better detail

A bit fuzzy, but still beautiful

You can barely see that there are 2 other's in this shot.

This is my favorite shot! I had to do a little work in a photo program so you could really see them, but I like the effect.

So that's it. We enjoyed them for one night and then they were gone. The fragrance was wonderful. If anyone ever offers you one of these, I suggest you take it. From what I've read they will grow indoors. We keep ours in a pot outside. Have to bring it in when it freezes, but otherwise, it seems to do pretty good on it's own. It's always a treat to see the bloom. Glad this year was so special. Hope you've enjoyed seeing the pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my god, this is absolutely awesome! These pics are real art, and what a great memory they make until this beauty decides to bloom again! With looking at these photos, I could almost smell its fragrance - impressive indeed, and thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful pictures you have taken of this very beautiful flower, I have never seen this one before I wonder if it will grow in the uk.

    Thankyou for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment it was very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the blooms finally made their appearance! They're absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zowsers, T, that is just gorgeous!! I love the first flashlight pic. Great photographs!! Thanks so much for posting them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...