Saturday, December 20, 2008

Can someone explain this?

Why have I decided that I need to knit an heirloom afghan? First, I have no heirs in the sense of children, nor any indication that I will have any from my own loins. Nor does it look like I'll gain any through an advantageous marriage with the way my social life has been for the last several years. Second, I live in Florida and I've chosen to knit this in Cascade 220, mainly because the colors I wanted only come in Cascade 220, but still. And third, well, heck I don't have a good third but I'm sure someone else can come up with one when you see the craziness I've come to.

You see, I love cables. I love cables, and bobbles and cables and well almost all things Celtic or that remind me of Ireland and Scotland. I've not been to Ireland, but I did go to Scotland as a child. Somewhere there is a picture of me in Edinburgh at the castle with one of the guards. But I digress. So when I saw that there was a Great American Aran Afghan book I just knew I'd be sucked in at some point. Then I mentioned it to Kathe and well before I knew it there was a class for it scheduled in 2009. Which is fine, because this way I have to finish it, or at least finish the squares. Of course I'm not happy with doing what they did and using all cream. No, I want something different, yet still kind of in line with traditional aran pieces. So, I went with these colors...plus cream which KnitWitz didn't have yet.The center ball is color 9460, then the one on the left is 2452, the one on the right is 2442 and the one on the bottom is 2440. the one on the right is a little more green then it looks in this picture. I took the picture in my bedroom with regular lighting and that's thrown the color off a little I think, but you get the idea. Very green/mossy/earthy. Looking at them, very me colors. So I'm excited to get started. I haven't decided on what the January block will be, but stay tuned, I'll be sure to share.

In other news, my dr. called and wants to see me now that the lab results are in. I'll see him Monday afternoon. Hopefully they showed something up that will explain the pain in my hands and some other places. We'll see what he says. If it were something really bad he would have made time to see me today so I'm not too worried. The medicine he gave me for the pain seems to help most of the time, so that's been nice.

Tomorrow there will be much preparation for Christmas. We have to make some early runs for supplies, especially of the food variety, but then it's home to do the decorating that we'll be doing this year. It's kind of a scaled down year, but I'm sure things will look nice.

Hope everyone is almost ready for Christmas. It'll be here very soon!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I've been tempted by that book also! I love everything cables and bobbles and my dream vacation would be 2 weeks in Ireland! (my mom keeps pointing out that I'm not Irish, but I can't help it) I was knitting last night to Celtic Woman.

    Can't wait to see your squares!

    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're knitting an heirloom afghan because you want to, and for no other reason.

    And that's enough, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can adopt me if it makes you feel better! The colors are great, can't wait to see the squares.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...