Sunday, January 13, 2008

And then it rained...

I had every intention of going to Sampler Guild today after the 9:45 service at church, right up until the weather turned most foul and we were deluged with rain. (Yes, I'm watching The Complete Jane Austen on PBS and reading the books, and yes it's affecting my writing and speech. I can't help it.) So instead I came home and ensconced myself in front of the TV (something one of Miss Austen's characters would never have imagined) and proceeded to stitch (a highly appropriate occupation for a lady of Miss Austen's time) and watch football, of the American variety. (I fee sure the society of Miss Austen's time would not have found that suitable entertainment, but oh well, I love it!) I also ate. But the end result is that I have finished my secret stitching! I just need to get it and few other things, ready to mail. My hope is to post it on Tuesday, but it may be later in the week.

I hope the recipient likes what I've done. My mother says if not she may send it back and she, my mother that is, will be happy to find it a place on her walls. She might actually be serious, but I'm not always sure, although she is certain that the recipient, the fair Jean, will adore it and so it is lost to her. Well maybe she didn't use quiet those words, it's that Austen thing again, I thought it would go away faster.

So, that was my day. Quite boring in a lot of respects, while in others, quite fun. I have to say I haven't had a day of just enjoying stitching in awhile. Plus some good football thrown in for good measure. It was sad that the Jaguar's lost last night, but they played hard. I'm not sure anyone can beat the Patriots this year, but who knows, that's the fun of watching.

As I said I watched the first show in the PBS Masterpiece showing of all the Jane Austen books. I thought Persuasion was an interesting first choice since it was the last books she completed. I did decide to read them as the shows air and started Persuasion last night. I should be through in a couple of days. It's a relatively short book, but like all her books is filled with commentary on her society. Not that we've changed all that much in 200 years. We still judge people by so many standards, not the least of which is what they earn and how they earn it. We may phrase our dislikes and likes in different words, but the sentiments, at their root, aren't much different. Perhaps that's why so many people still find her books worth reading all these years later. Or perhaps, as the commentary by Gillian Anderson said we read her because in her world it was easy to tell what true love is and that it is available to all no matter what their circumstances, no matter what they (or for some their family) has done. True love will show itself especially to those who perhaps deserve a second chance. Though Miss Anne Elliot made what we would consider a mistake in her dealings with Captain Wentworth, because their love is "true" they will find themselves drawn together in the end. The idea of it is still something that perhaps we long for as individuals.

So, for all you Jane Austen lovers, and I know you're out there, I hope you enjoyed the first adaptation. I thought both Sally Hawkins as Miss Anne Elliot and Rupert Penry-Jones as Capt. Wentworth did a wonderful job with their characters. Anne came across to me as a women who felt deeply, both love and family responsibility. Perhaps the most interesting scene for me is when she overhears Capt. Wentworth speaking with of the Musgrove sisters. The Miss Musgrove is sincere in her admiration and love of Miss Anne, but Anne doesn't hear that, rather she only hears the part that seems to "damn" her in Capt. Wentworth's eyes. (I'm really trying not to give away the entire plot here, so if you're really interest read the book or watch the show.) Although her family abuses her, pulling and pushing her, she does what she thinks will bring peace and harmony to her surroundings. Is there a lesson to be learned in that? I'm not sure. We certainly live in a society that admires the individual and those who strike out on their own, while often downplaying those who do what they can to make their family and friends more comfortable and happy. In Miss Austen's world, those women find love with wonderful men, while in our world I'm not sure that happens to very often. (I can name several women of my acquaintance who would fit this description and none are married, nor are they "seeing" someone. While I know others who disregard the feelings of people and find themselves always busy with a man on the weekends. To be fair I also have some wonderful friends who are married to wonderful men, but more and more I find they are the exception and not the rule, though they do give me hope! You know who you are my friends.)

Well, I rambled on about that more then I intended. Who knows, there may be more over the next THREE!!! months as all the books are aired and I reread them all. I won't be upset if you choose not to read my ramblings on this subject, but would love to hear what other's think about the books if you too are reading or watching them. And with that, I shall retire to read and sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I'm watching, but did not watch last night...that's why they make DVR's! I'll let you know my critique at that time. I also had to skip a lot of your post because I didn't want to read too much about it. Andy is also watching. Oh - and GPTV (our PBS) is now available in HD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh goody goody goody goody goody goody goody goody goody... pressie coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...