Sunday, April 3, 2011

Time to Have some Fun! 2KCBWDAY7

Day seven: 3rd April. Your knitting and crochet time.  2KCBWDAY7
Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft? 

Well the answer to that question is whenever I can. Seriously, I rarely like to just sit and do nothing. I almost always carry something with me to a doctor's visit, either an ornament I'm stitching or a small knitting or crochet project. I always carry multiple projects with me on trips. I stitch, knit or crochet when I'm watching TV, listening to a book on my iPod, hanging out with friends, you name it. I've knitted at baseball games, in restaurants, airports, in my car (not while actually driving, but sitting still at long traffic lights during rush hour why yes I have), on a plane, on a boat (took a knitting cruise with my LYS a few years ago), at home, my LYS and I'm sure some retail stores totally non-yarn related. I've pretty much stitched at all those places as well, although I haven't stitched at a baseball game, but I have stitched in the car on the way to a football game, and probably while we tailgated at least once. I love to knit or crochet on something simple during NASCAR races, usually while on a chat with several of my online friends. It has to be simple since I do pay attention to the race more than I normally would other things on TV.

If I'm home I have two places that I gravitate towards when I'm knitting/crocheting/stitching. One is the chair in my bedroom. It's a big, comfy chair with a nice large ottoman that I bought back in the early 90's. I love that chair. I have my Dazor on a rolling floor stand that I bought around the same time as the chair after I saw one at Spirit of Cross Stitch oh so many years ago.
Only mine is cream colored that's it exactly. This was totally worth the investment all those years ago. I have a place to put my drink and quite a few of my supplies close by. I also keep my stitching and knitting bags beside that chair for when I feel the need to switch projects. Right now I've got just the ones that I have in my "rotation".

The other place is in the family room. We have a sectional couch that has 2 recliners. I have staked a claim to the one closest to the fireplace since that's where I can plug in my Ott Lamp and actually see. There's always a project or two (ok or more) laying close by to pick up and work on. That's where the nice HDTV is and where the Wii is, so if I'm going to watch a movie from Netflix or really want to see the yummy men on Hawaii 5-O (just for instance) then I have to go in there to see them in all their yummy glory.

If there is nothing on TV that I want to listen to/watch, then I just listen to a book. One of the women that frequents my LYS turned me on to Audible.com and I love it. Sometimes I listen to several books a month, other times just one, and some months none. I always have several that I haven't heard on my iPod ready to go.

So, there's nothing typical about when I will craft, or maybe there are more people like me than I realize. I think that a lot of my friends are like me, but then again, maybe not.

4 comments:

  1. Yup, I think there are a lot of knitters like you as far as keeping a rotation going. I can't do but a couple at a time, because it seems the projects just weigh on me if too many are in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a rotation is important. Otherwise, it's easy to forget about a project and have it end up deeply buried and unworked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the couch with the recliner on both ends. Since Angie went to school , her "spot" has a pile of yarn on it - from my last 3 projects...need to clean up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't settle on a set rotation but enjoy having multiple projects on the go.

    I love audio books! I've also recently discovered Podcasts. I love This American Life and Stuff You Missed In History Class.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...