Saturday, April 2, 2011

Something to aspire to. 2KCBWDAY6

Day six: 2nd April. Something to aspire to. 2KCBWDAY6


I really thought about how to answer this. I'm not sure there is much I feel is something to aspire to in the sense that I'm not sure I could do it. There are a few things I don't care to learn how to do in knit, but aspire to...not really. As I said I do want to learn double knitting, but I don't think it will be that hard. I can do color work and think it's pretty, but not my thing all that much.

The only thing I can think of is to make a Pi shawl a la Elizabeth Zimmerman. It's not like there aren't plenty of beautiful pattern already figured out, some are even in my favorites on Ravelry. But for some reason I want to make one that's unique. I have some amazing red lace weight yarn for one, I have the book with the directions and I even started looking at lace patterns to determine which patterns I wanted to use for the different sections, but putting it all together has eluded me thus far. Maybe I haven't been in the right mood to do the math, maybe I just don't want to tackle a BAP in my knitting when I have plenty in my stitching WIPs. I don't know what's holding me back. So maybe that's what I aspire to do, to create my very own version of the Pi shawl. I know I can do it, I just need to get motivated to start the planning and do the math.

If you aren't familiar with what a Pi shawl looks like just Google it and look at the images. There are some very beautiful ones out there.

________________________________

A brief stitching note. Today the frogs came to visit after I thought I could keep them away. I was one row off on the bunny for Briar Rabbit. I thought I could make it work, I was wrong, so today I pulled out most of the rabbit and started it over. I am not going to put it aside though and not finish it. I'm determined.

I also tried to move the program I've used for years to keep track of my patterns/charts/kits and what projects I have started to my small laptop. Didn't work since apparently the program won't work on Windows 7 and it certainly won't work on my Mac. I was not amused. So, I used the export feature and created .txt files for the two main databases and then imported them into Excel, at least for now. Maybe, just maybe, I'll create my own database that I can use on any of my machines. It would be a good project to reteach myself how to create and manipulate them. For now I'll just keep these files up to date. I even added in most of my newer purchases and what I've been working on. I made a few changes so I don't have to refer back and forth between the two documents to tell what is going on. I don't know why someone hasn't developed something as nice as the program I've always used that will work on a newer operating system and/or Mac.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend. I'm hoping to make it to our county fair to see how my entries fared. I do know that my knitted item got a blue ribbon since a friend saw it and sent me a picture, but she couldn't get a good look at the stitched items and couldn't see the names so I'll have to see about those.

2 comments:

  1. You're sort of where I am- if I haven't tried it at this point, I really don't think I have any interest in making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens, I had no idea you entered things in a fair! Congrats on the confirmed ribbon!!!

    Which XS database program were you using?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...