Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A funny thing happened...

in front of the church tonight. Let me set the scene. I had just finished a fairly uneventful meeting of our church's Staff Parish Relations committee. I like uneventful meetings as I'm currently the chair and uneventful means things aren't all that bad. But, back to the story.

Our church sits on Main Street. Of course in our town Main Street is no longer the main thoroughfare, that has long since moved to the 4 lane state road about a block away from where our 184 year old church sits. However, Main Street leads to the public boat ramp, and in these parts and in this kind of weather that means Main Street gets a fair amount of traffic. Like all good Methodists there's always a few folks who want to chat after a meeting. I'm fairly sure this is true of other denominations as well, but I could be wrong. Tonight it was just myself, our Pastor and another lovely lady we'll call Brenda, mainly because that's her name and I'm not good at making names up for people. Brenda and I were standing on the sidewalk talking about something when this nice large pickup truck, a Chevy I believe, went by with a nice boat attached. As he pulled up next to where we were I heard what almost sounded like a cat-call, you know a whistle, like construction workers are accused of making only this wasn't human, it was electronic. That's right, it was a horn of some sort on this guy's truck. I was speechless for about 2 seconds and then turned to Brenda and said, "That must have been for you." To which she replied, "I think not!" I love Brenda, I've known her since I was in high school. She's a lovely woman and by no means "elderly", but she's seen the half century mark and moved past it I'm sure since she has kids a few years younger then me. We both laughed and finished our chat and got in respective vehicles to go home.

Why am I telling you this? Mainly because as I was driving off I realized that only in small town America could something like that happen. Plus it put me in mind of the famous phrase made popular by Jeff Foxworthy. You know..."You might be a redneck if..." you toot your cat-call horn at a girl standing in front of the Methodist church after you've been fishing on the creek.

Yep, only in small town USA!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...