Thursday, May 3, 2007

May Already???

I'm not sure how it happened, but I looked at the calendar on my computer and it says it's May. Wow! Well, for those following along at home with the monthly theme this is "May Memories - UFO's and class projects". That means it's time to pull out the UFO and class projects that languish in my stash and do a little work on them.

I'm here to say that I have a lot of class projects in my stash that also qualify as UFO's. And by a lot I mean more then 20, heck maybe even more then 30. You see I like school, yeah, that's right I was that kid. I'm the one that liked to go to school and liked to learn new things. So when I discovered back in the early 90's that you could take classes for things like cross stitch, well I thought I'd discovered heaven. Not only were there classes, but there were whole conference like things you could go to and sign up for multiple classes over several days. This seemed to good to be true. Since I was, and still am, single and carefree, I decided to sign mys
elf up for one of these. The best part was they had them in a town in NC very close to my first ever college roommate Maria. This meant I could visit Maria and while she was at work go take classes about needlework. Now, I'm sure you can foresee the initial problem. That first year I felt I had to cram as many classes into the time I had. So that's what I did. I left early in the morning from Maria's house to drive about 20 miles to the convention and take classes. I think that first year I signed up for 6, it's still a blur. What I do know is I learned from some really marvelous teachers, one of whom is still a friend. Over the years I made more friends going to these "festivals". Most memorable is my dear friend Heather. Maybe one day I'll let you in on that one. Let's just say a class with Rae Iverson and steak set the stage for a friendship that I treasure.

So, as you can see, I have plenty of things to choose from. I'll have to keep working o
n my ornaments for the exchange in July. The 3rd of 4 is coming along nicely I might add. But I imagine I'll work on some other things as well. I've already told you about the scissors keep from a class last year, I'm sure I'll work on it some. I haven't really looked hard, but I feel that Blackwork Band Sampler, another Moss Creek beauty seen here, is calling my name. (BTW, this is the class that Heather & I met in.) I've said for a couple of years now that I'm going to finish this one so I can take it to ASG. Perhaps it will happen this year.



In knitting news, I started the toe to the 2nd of the Monkey Socks. The finish is near! I'm very excited. Plus, my yarn for the Hogwarts Sock Exchange is in, so I'm planning on picking that up Friday at Knit-in. That way I can start on them at the shop. Very exciting news!

Oh, and in case you were wondering, my dad is feeling ok, but not great. I'll be glad when they do this second test to see if there are any more places where he's "oozing" blood internally. I think that will go a long way to helping him feel better. Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, so much in this post I relate to! I can't remember how many classes I took at my first festival, but I do remember that my record was 11. Yikes! I was also that kid...nothing more exciting than a brand new notebook!

    I'm so glad we met in that class, too...I think I need to add that piece to my pile for this month (if I can find it in the packing cacophony). I did work on Autumn Jewels last night...my first ever class with Rae!

    I need COW!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...