Friday, October 29, 2010

Got Mojo?

And by Mojo I mean for stitching and purchasing stitching. As those of you who are regulars (and by regulars I mean people who come and read my blog when I actually write something) may have noticed I haven't been stitching all that much. In fact I haven't been stitching hardly at all. Maybe a little canvas work when I was in Atlanta in July, but otherwise, nary a stitch in a piece of linen have I made. However, all that seems to have taken a turn for the worse better in the last week or so. I'm not sure exactly what changed, but all of a sudden I want a needle and floss of some sort in my hands.

Of course that means that I've been purchasing some goodies from a couple of my favorite on-line/remote needlework stores. I could list everything here, but instead I'll wait until I get stuff and show you. Instead I'll show you a few pictures of what I've been working on.

First and update on my Christmas Fairy. Isn't she pretty?
Christmas Fairy as of 10262010

Then there's a long overdue start on The Daughters of Longbourn. Some of you may know that I love Jane Austen's books. All of them in some way shape or form speak to me. A couple of years ago my DF Melody gave me this lovely pattern and a cut of Vintage Maple Sugar fabric to stitch this one. I started the border last week when I was having trouble sleeping since I had those fibers. Then I called one of my favorite online stitching stores, Needlecraft Corner, and had the ever wonderful Drema send me the rest of the Crescent Colours needed. Not much to show yet, but it really is going to be beautiful!
Daughters of Longbourne as of 10262010 Daughters of Longbourne 10262010 closeup
A larger shot and then a bit of a close-up on a corner.

Finally I'm going to show off something that will have to be our secret. My parents will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary March 3, 2011. I feel the need to do something to commemorate this event, because let's face it so few people manage this milestone anymore and it should be celebrated. I'm sure there will be a party of some sort and there has been talk of a cruise, but that's not lasting. So I went looking around at samplers. I have been debating between Emblem of Love by the wonderful Ellen Chester of With My Needle and A Sweeter Love by Plum Street Designs. Both are beautiful and it was a hard decision, but again DF Melody to the rescue. She happened to have the chart and a piece of lovely Vintage Exampler linen in her stash for Emblem of Love that she was willing to part with. Throw in the fact she had enough Belle Soie in Elegant Eggplant and the deal was struck. She very kindly sold me everything I needed and Tuesday at our EGA meeting I received it all and that night I started working on it. My hope is I can keep it a secret from them and maybe have it complete before the date. It's a hope and a goal, nothing bad will happen if I don't quite make it. So here's a peek at what I've managed to do as of Wednesday morning when I could take a picture since they were both gone to daddy's eye dr. appointment.
Emblem of Love with thread being used

As I said, I'm working it on 36 ct. Vintage Exampler with a single strand of Belle Soie. The color is beautiful, my picture doesn't capture the subtle changes. I've actually finished that motif and a couple of small ones next to it and started the next one that is below the one you see. I'm going to make some changes, take out some motifs to allow me to personalize it with their information. I'm playing with the idea of using a gold color for the personalization. Something with an aged look. Now remember you have to keep this a secret. You can't go telling mom how pretty it looks.

Since I started this I received my order from Drema and will take some pictures of the new stash to share when I get a chance. There's this thing called work that keeps me from stitching, knitting and blogging, the only good it does is allows me to add to my stash.

Lastly I need to show you a picture of the adorable needlepoint bunny I've been working on. This is the piece I obtained during my last trip to Atlanta and is the reason I'll be headed back that way in November so I can take a class from the woman who helped me pick out fibers and decide on the stitches to be used.
Snow Globe bunny as of 10/26/2010
Don't you just adore him? Lots of fun sparkly fibers to play with. I think that's why I have started to do some needlepoint, the fibers you can use.

That's my update. I have more to share and I'm still working on a catch-up post from earlier in the year. Hope everyone has a safe Halloween weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Yeay! I'm glad that your mojo has returned. I was in a slump for awhile, too, and it just feels like the world is off kilter a bit when I don't feel like stitching. Your WIPs are gorgeous, both stitchy and needlepoint-y. I really like the start you've made on your parents' anniversary sampler. Love the fiber & fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a stitcher - but they sure are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them all! I'm stitching a bit more than normal too - which is still a slow pace by most standards. I'm looking forward to seeing your parents sampler progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH WOW - I am so glad to hear you are enthused enough that we have progress on Emblem - It looks beautiful so far. The snow bunny looked so good on the blog and is darling in person and your Jane Austen piece will be gorgeous too in all those Crescent colors - Looking forward to our trip on Saturday and new adventures on a stitchy trip - Hope we all have a swift week- mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. 36 ct? Now I know you've taken leave of your senses... :)

    Looking forward to your next invasion of the ATL. Penny is too. She misses your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks as though your mojo may well have returned:) Love your Christmas Fairy and your new starts look lovely so far. Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...