Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm sorry

Really, I've meant to post. I meant to post back on the 10th when I got a call for a job interview. Then I meant to post on the 12th after I had the interview. I really meant to post on the 13th when I got a call offering me a contracting position after the interview. Finally I was going to post on the 18th on my first day of work. But, alas, none of those things happened. I did manage to send out some emails to let people know what was going on, but no post here. So, I'm sorry.

The short version is...I have a job as a contractor. I'm working at as a QA Analyst. (Yes, I know their colors are blue and orange. Thankfully, I haven't been given any shirts that I must wear in those colors. I'm not sure how I'll handle that.) I haven't worked in corporate America or IT in 7 years. Funny, not much has changed. I was impressed that on Thursday when I got there they actually had a computer and a phone all ready and working, well sort of working. The phone worked if you had it on speaker phone. If you picked up the handset to talk, I could hear the other person, but they couldn't hear me. That issue was resolved fairly easily. The computer worked, and I even had a LAN ID, but not all the permissions for programs and drives that I need. Still don't have all the drives I need. Not sure what the hold up is with that. Oh well, it hasn't stopped me from being productive. The people are nice and the job is, well a job. It's a lot of tedious, very detailed testing right now. But that's ok. It's busy, so the day goes quickly. The added bonus is there are some people there that I know from when I worked at AT&T, oh so many years ago. It's nice to get to see them, although we're all busy, so not much catching up has happened.

The scary part is I'm getting up really, REALLY early so I can beat the traffic. It's about 28 miles one way to the office. That takes anywhere from 45 minutes to over an hour, depending on what time you leave. So, since they don't seem to mind, I've been leaving here around 6:15 AM so I can get there around 7. That means I get off from work fairly early, unless I stick around to work some overtime. So far they haven't decided if they want to pay for me to work overtime. (Did I mention I love being a contractor and being paid by the hour??!!!??) My poor body hasn't adjusted to the change in sleeping habits. I came home today exhausted.

In other great news....The Yarn Harlot is coming to Jacksonville!!!! Yes, my favorite LYS is hosting the Yarn Harlot herself next month on Oct. 16th! I can't wait. I know it's going to be a load of fun. Then the next Thursday I'll leave work and drive to Hilton Head, SC to join my friends at ASG. What a great 2 weeks that will be.

No pictures, but I'll give you some updates on stitching and knitting activities.

Stitching: I've been working on the ornaments that I should have finished in July. Finally got all my supplies for the last of 3 ornaments I need to stitch. I'll have it done and kitted by ASG. The others will be done and given to Jill in exchange for the kits I'm getting from others in the group.

Knitting: I'm currently working on a tea cozy design for a class I'll be teaching soon. I like how it's turning out so far. Hopefully it will look great when it's finished. I've also worked on some socks, finishing one of daddy's socks for his Christmas gift. Need to cast on for the other. I've got some other knitting to do for upcoming classes and some crochet to work on for classes. I need to work on some more Christmas gifts, but haven't had time.

I think that's all the updating I can do tonight. I need to check my email and do a few other things before I give up and go to bed. Bear with me as I attempt to figure out how to do the fun stuff and work too!

5 comments:

  1. Woot for the job!! Welcome back to the land of the employed. :) It sucks, but the money is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I wish I could say the getting up earlier gets easier, but, um... we've been doing it for over a month for school and I'm still exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to Blogsville(!) and of course also welcome back to the wonderful world of corporate slog. LOL

    Work hard and look forward to all those wonderful things you can buy or places you can plan to visit. That's what it's all about after all, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess all your friends will have to join Ravelry for updates huh? glad you like your new job. i have to be at work everyday by 4am. Somedays it's more like 4:15, so I always work a bit extra Monday so I'm covered for the week ( no "unapproved OT, you cut it off another day) Working extra is usually a piece of cake on Monday, because since i got mad and now unload my carpet trucks, I always end up leaving late on Mondays. Of course "late" for me is like 2pm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...